Bond and Trust – The Human–Dog relation basis
The tie between you and your dog isn’t there right from the beginning, but has to be developed with lot of love, devotion and consistency. The Puppy, having stayed with his mother till now, needs to receive this love, protection, contact and rules from you from now on, and of course his basic needs, like feeding, playing, sleeping and cuddling need to be satisfied.
The Puppy still needs to learn a lot, and gain experience every single day. Doing so he will of course face situations that might be scary or disturbing and this is exactly the point where the Puppy needs to trust in you. Together the two of you will face those troubles, find irritating objects and situations, and the trust that is built in those moments will strengthen the bonds between you and your dog a little more every day.
A good relation will further on be the cornerstone of your education, as the dog will only be following your wish if he feels motivated by you and has developed those bonds.
Now how can these ties be developed?
– Spend a lot of time with your Puppy and let him be part of your daily life. Don’t exclude the Puppy or isolate it. He should feel as being a part of your family.
– Have as much physical contact to your Puppy as possible. Cuddle and stroke the little dog and absolutely endorse close physical contact.
– Talk to your Puppy and show him by using a friendly, calm voice, positive posture and also friendly facial expression, that he will find protection and security when being with you.
– While playing with your Puppy, make sure that your little friend gets to use his brain from time to time. Gustily praise his effort to sit on your command or if he had the heart to crawl through a little tunnel. Build up his self-confidence, but please do not ask too much from that little creature.
– While playing pay attention to the Puppy being real close to you, e.g. Puppy crawling through your feet or playing with a ball on your belly. It is important for the Puppy to realize that being close to you is always positive.
– Define your rules right from the beginning. May the dog jump on the couch, is he allowed to enter all rooms, where is his dog basket, and so on. Also rules that have to be obeyed are an essential part in building a good relationship.
– When taking Puppy for a walk, make yourself interesting and show your dog from the beginning that there are always happening great things around you. Search for whatever together, climb a stumb together, explore the water…together.
– Always be consistent, clear and fair. Established rules and learned exercises should be retained, and not be altered or revoked. Reliability is crucial for the relation between you and your dog.
– Try to overcome everyday situations. Take a ride in your car; take a walk in the city, to the Zoo if allowed and so on. Whatever the Puppy experiences in a positive way while being with you, will strengthen his trust.
– Always show sovereignty and calmness, especially in case the Puppy is scared or loses its way. Consoling words are inappropriate in these circumstances, as they don’t provide safety. Instead you should show your Puppy with the proper motivation, that the two of you can overcome this challenge.