Disc Dogs – Dog Frisbee
The Dog Frisbee sports (“Disc Dog”) is beeing practised in the United States for more than 25 years. It is very popular and widespread among sporty dog owners.
In Disc Dog the collaboration between animal and man is fundamental. Both therefore have to train for the sport, as a dog, no matter how talented, can only show its skills if the Frisbee is thrown correctly.
Through its variety, Dog Frisbee is really something for every healthy dog, regardless of race, gender, height and weight. As with all other dog activities, also in Disc Dog its vital that the dog has fun doing it. Therefore, here is exactly as it should be in the dog training: motivation instead of enfourcement, positive encouragement instead of punishment, and non-verbal communication instead of shouting.
The dog should be slowly get used to the disc, he must learn to see the frisbee as prey, because then his natural hunting instincts arouse. Therefore one should initially roll the Frisbee across the floor. The first catch in the air for dog might be difficult. Once the dog got used to the disc, you can go to step two.
Also catching the disc in the air, must be addressed slowly. Short throws at the beginning, and then slowly start throwing out further distances. It is important to reward the dog with treats or pats and not overwhelm him!
If this is done, you can train the different disciplines of Disc Dogs.
During training however, you should consider the following tips:
* Warming up (only short throws and low jumps)
* Do not use too large or heavy frisbees, otherwise there is danger of injury
* Make sure that there are no holes or bumps on the playground
* Pay attention to other dogs and people
* Don’t ask more frpm your dog never than he is willing to voluntarily
* Give your dog frequent breaks, bring enough water
* Examine the paws for on injuries after every exercise
* Sharp points on the Frisbee must be removed before the next game
* not forget to wash the disc
* Do not reuse lacerated and broken Frisbees
* Son’t take the training too serious, it should always be fun
* Before training you should have your Vet check the dog. Since the hips are stressed by the jumps, it is advisable to x-ray the hip.
Disc Dogs regulations
In the USA like in most other countries, the rules vary from club to club. Therefore here is a list of the best-known rules and regulations followed in order to provide a better understanding of the basics of these sports.
* Mini Distance (Fetch and Catch, Fetch Toss):
The team has 60 seconds to throw as many shots as possible. The further the union, the more points you can win.
The teams have 90 seconds to demonstrate a choreographed to music.
* Long Distance (also Quadruped):
At the Long Distance four teams compete against each other. Each participant has three throws. The teams that have thrown the farthest proceed to the next round. The team with the lowest throw is out.